Search This Blog

8/21/2009

Software Change

Don't ever let an idea for an enhancement for Specsintact slip by. I recently submitted a Software change to Specsintact. If you think it will be helpful for you then it probably will help other SI users. My software change was as follows:

“Can an option be added that will allow me as the Specifier to select particular text, Subparagraph or article and add it to a “to do list”?

As I am editing thru sections there are constantly items that cannot be completed due to lack of info at the time. However, if that text, subparagraph or article could be flagged on a to do list then when the to do list is opened I can see the items. If I click on the item it will open the referenced section and go to the flagged area for Specifier input and completion. I see this working similar to how reports work now. If I open up a report and click on the item it takes me to the paragraph where correction is required.

This should also be added to the “Reports” under the print processing. That way if a To Do Flag was imbedded in a section and not corrected or completed it will be listed in a report during the printing process.

I see the To Do List being an icon on the toolbar while in the Specsintact Explorer mode.

It’s been a while since I have used Specsintact but now that I am back editing specifications I am creating a paper list of to do items. I just was thinking that having a generated list would be nice.”

This Software Change will be brought before the SI Board that meets in November. So with some luck they will see this as a worthy change and incorporate it into a future software update.

1 comment:

  1. That would be an excellent value added feature for not only for the specifier & design team, but also reviewers. Currently I type a lot of notes and questions into an Excel file with AutoFilter. This is more tedious than it should have to be.

    I also have submitted software change requests recently. Much to my surprise, the email address they go to was incorrect & I got a bounce! Thankfully I had made a copy of my request, and also had contact info for a staff member at NASA who has connections, and she said she could pass the request along for the upcoming meeting.

    My most recent request was just to rephrase the Tailoring Options dialog box, because it is probably confusing to new users. I already know what it does through trial and error. I've also requested that deleted tailoring items be able to be marked as deleted instead of just being gone forever. Many agencies require all deletions to be shown. I think she agreed this is worth pursuing.

    ReplyDelete